I can’t get enough of a creamy pasta dish. There is something so calming and comforting about a fettuccini alfredo on a cold day or paired with a nice glass of wine. Unfortunately, the alfredo you get at the restaurant or the packaged kind are loaded with carbs, fat and salt amounts that are through the roof. Well lo and behold, I have combined a few recipes and added a little magic touch to create the perfect Skinny Alfredo recipe, leaving you guilt free and able to enjoy that creamy pasta. (There is still a high content of parmesan cheese – if you’d like to make this recipe healthier you can use nutritional yeast as a substitute – but it will not be as creamy as if you use parm)
- Fettuccini noodles
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 4 cloves garlic, finely-minced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup cashew milk (you can use any milk alternative)
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- (optional toppings: chopped fresh parsley, extra Parmesan)
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions, in salted water
- While your pasta is cooking, heat your olive oil in a large sautee pan. Add your garlic and saute one minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Sprinkle in your flour, and stir to combine. Saute for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally. You’ll get some sort of clumpy mixture – what you’re doing here is giving flavour to your flour with your garlic.
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking to combine until smooth. Whisk in your milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let cook for an additional minute until thickened, then stir in your parmesan, salt and pepper until the cheese melts. Reduce your heat to low until your pasta is ready.
- Drain pasta, then immediately add pasta to the saute pan with alfredo sauce. Mix it up, add a lil freshly chopped parsley on there with some extra parm and some fresh ground pepper BOOM.
Approx 100 calories per serving before pasta.
In the recipe you see below:
I added about 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms and some sliced green onions.