It’s getting a lil chillier these days, and nothing excited me more than fall. Big sweaters, warm drinks.. the trees changing colours.. yes yes yesssss. Most of all, comfort food.
I had one of my girlfriends over for some wine & dinner and we gave this wonderful recipe a go- getting us in the mood for fall.
These two recipes are super easy and 100% dairy free. You can use any butter but we gave this recipe a go with the Earth Balance dairy free butter. You can find this butter alternative at Whole Foods, or any health food store.
Roasted Red Pepper & Cauliflower Soup
Servings: Makes about 4 servings
- 4 Medium Red Bell Peppers
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, diced into florets
- 2 tbsp of Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 3 Fresh Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 cups of low sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp fresh chopped Thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (spicy – sweet works too)
- Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Cut the red bell peppers in half, scooping out the seeds. Place them face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Broil in the oven on high until the skin has become black. (Make sure the skin is black, otherwise you will have quite the difficulty peeling the skin off). Remove from the oven and place into a sealed container and allow the peppers to cool down and steam.
- Broil your cauliflower florets in the oven on high until they are tender and crisp. They might get a lil brown, that’s all good. Turn them halfway (It’ll take about 20-25 min)
- While you got the cauliflower roasting up in the oven, place the oil in a large pot, add your diced onion and garlic gloves. Saute those bad boys on medium to low heat until the onions are tender and caramelized.
- Add your chicken stock, fresh thyme, and smoked paprika into the pot and mix everything together. I tend to like things a lil more spicy so feel free to add some chili flakes in the mix to bring the heat up. Allow your mixture to simmer on medium heat.
- Remove the skins from the red peppers, dice em up and add them in your pot. Mix it up. Do the same with the cauliflower. Allow your soup to simmer on medium heat for about 20 mins.
- Add your soup to a blender, 2 cups at a time and blend until super creamy and pureed. Add your pureed soup back into the pot and season with your sea salt and ground black pepper to taste – and simmer on a low heat until you’re ready to serve it up!
Garlic Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- Light Spray of Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp of melted Earth Balance Dairy-Free Butter
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to broil on high. Trim off the ends of your sweet potatoes, cut them in half and then those pieces in half – making 4 pieces from each sweet potato.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water – bring to a boil and cook them covered for about 20-25 min until they are fork tender. Depending on the size of your sweet potatoes the time could vary. Drain well.
- Lightly grease a large baking tray with the light cooking oil spray. Arrange them on the sheet and use a fork to lightly flatten each piece.
- Mix together your dairy-free butter, garlic and parsley. Pour the mixture over each sweet potato. Sprinkle that salt & pepper and a quick spray of your light cooking spray. Boom. In the oven they go.
- Broil until they are golden and crispy (about 15 min). You’ll be able to tell when the garlic is a lil brown. Remove from the oven.
Top them off with some fresh parsley and serve immediately with that simmering soup you just made above.