These are my personal go-to for superfood add-ons. You can add these to your yogurt, smoothie, cereal, juice, salad.. the list goes on.
Superfoods are a quick and easy way to get some serious nutrients into the body.
Let’s Talk Chia Seeds
You’ve all heard of the power of these cute little seeds
I love to add these to my smoothies, salads and overnight oats – tasteless and packed with nutrients.
- High in Fiber ranging from 30-40% of your recommended daily fiber intake
- High in Magnesium which helps fight fatigue and keeps your heart health in check.
- High in Phosphorus which helps maintain healthy bones, skin, hair and cognitive functions including concentration and memory.
- High in Thiamine which is known as the “anti-stress vitamin”- helps with your energy levels, anti-aging, memory and heart health.
- High in Manganese which produces collagen, helps control your sugar levels, regulates metabolism and great for thyroid health.
These chewy little seeds are the perfect topper for salads and an easy way to get some protein into your diet!
- High in Iron – Did you know that iron-deficiency was the worlds most common nutritional deficiency disease? This is especially high in women and children. It’s important to keep your Vitamin C intake intact since it is a crucial for you to absorb the iron. Iron benefits include fighting fatigue, increases brain development but also helps in the synthesis of essential neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin which play a major role in your moods, irritability and the feeling of joy, happiness and love.
- High in Thiamine as explained above, “anti-stress vitamin”
- Includes Riboflavin which helps migraines
- Vitamin B6 – converting food into energy and helps your body process fats and proteins
- Folate – great for the heart and reduces risk of stroke
- High in Phosphorus – healthy bones, skin, hair and cognitive functions – concentration and memory
- 70% of your daily intake of Magnesium – helps fatigue and promotes heart health
- Zinc – helps reduce stress, gives you energy..
- 110% of Manganese!! – as stated above helps produce collages and your metabolism (Yasssss)
Next up.. Ground Tiger Nuts & Maca Root Powder
First, I love this brand because not only are they completely certified organic and vegan, but they promote fair trade to the fullest. Also gluten free and as you can see from the packaging promote many other things.
- High in fiber – great for your digestive system and for that “full” feeling and achieving a healthy body weight.
- High in Iron! As I mentioned above, Iron contributes a great deal to maintaining a stable mood, fighting fatigue and helping to keep you happy with the proper synthesis of serotonin and dopamine.
- High in Phosphorus – healthy bones, skin hair, cognitive function including memory and concentration
Raw Maca Root Powder
This is grown in the mountains of Peru. Cool right? It’s also otherwise known as “Peruvian ginseng” – you can cook with maca root powder, add it to your smoothies.. Make sure to not add it to anything very hot because it looses all its benefits.
- Great for your hormones and sexual health
- Little energy boost
- Helps with skin issues including acne, scarring
- Helps stabilize your moods – anxiety, depression, mood swings and all
- General health – helps restore blood cells and helps heal wounds more quickly
These superfoods vary from $15-20CAD and lasts you quite a while. Make sure to consume in moderation since some of these nutrient-rich supplements do add up in terms of fats and calories. It is important when consuming these high amounts of vitamins and antioxidants to do so gradually. Don’t aim for 2 tbsp right away if it says that’s how much you should consume in a day. It can sometimes irritate your stomach and your bowels so it’s important to gradually incorporate into your diet!
Aim for the certified organic to make sure you are getting rich pure nutrients.. and fair trade is always a plus!
Yogurt Morning Jar
1. Organic Yogurt – add your yogurt as your base.
2. Granola (My boyfriend showed me this brand and I’m obsessed!! GMO free and certified organic with the best flavors) – get that extra crunch!
3. Your choice of Superfoods – pick your favorites or whatever is on hand!
4. Toppings (I love to add sliced almonds, nuts, coconut flakes and fresh fruit)